Spring Cleaning – Knock it out of the closet!
Do you stand in front of your closet and wonder if there is anything in there that you want to wear? Sometimes a good purge can be liberating… But how to start? Here are a few of our favorite suggestions:
The hanger trick. This is not a quick fix, but it can help when you can’t decide whether to get rid of something or not. Turn all of the hangers in your closet so that they are hooked onto the bar from behind. When you wear something, turn the hanger around to its normal position. At the end of the year, anything that is still hanging backwards, is probably not needed.
The Five Piles. Start by getting a glass of wine, this could take a while. Take all the clothes out of your closet and put them on the bed. You are going to sort them into 4 piles:
- Definitely keep. You don’t need a pile for these really, just put them back in that empty closet (here is where the hanger trick works best).
- Sentimental or otherwise irrationally loved clothing. These are going to get boxed up and put in the back of the closet so they aren’t a distraction on a daily basis. Mark the box well so you can find the item you want when you want it.
- Needs work. These are the things that need a button, or a hem. Also items that are too small or big, and need to be tailored. If you want to keep it but it doesn’t fit it goes in this pile. Before it can go in the closet it needs to be fixed so do it… or load it in the car and take it to your tailor. The Natty Dresser can provide those services if you need us.
- Donate. These are items that can still be worn by someone, but that you, for whatever reason don’t want any longer. These items should be neatly packed into a box (or boxes), and taken to your local shelter or another agency that works with people who need assistance. Locally we recommend FISH of Albany. They have an outstanding track record of charitable work.
- Throw away. You will know this when you see it. Clothing that is stained or faded or torn. Nobody wants your garbage, so please don’t donate it.
Professional Help. Sometimes you need an outside opinion. There are businesses out there that specialize in making order from chaos. When every attempt at doing it yourself ends in frustration or inaction, call in the Pros. Our friends at Queen Bee may be just what you need to get a handle on your overflowing closet. You can find them at: www.queenborganizing.com
Once your closet has been paired down be sure to contact The Natty Dresser for a wardrobe consultation. We can suggest pieces that you can use to freshen up the items that made the cut, into outfits that you will feel great wearing
Dress Well, Be Confident, Find Success!